Skip to main content

EXTRA CREDIT Event #5




For my final extra credit blog, I decided to attend the African-Print Fashion Now! exhibit at the Fowler Museum on campus – and I am so glad that I did.  This art gallery was not what it seemed at first glance.  When I entered the gallery, I was struck by all of the incredible colors and patterns that the textiles reflected throughout the room. There were cloth samples of a variety of patterns, as well as a plethora of mannequins adorned in beautifully constructed garments.  At first, I was mesmerized by the clothes themselves, but I realized so much more after I started to read the blurbs that were placed next to each photograph, garment, and textile.  This exhibit was about much more than just clothes, and as I began to understand the history behind the development, popularization, and production of these textiles and clothes, I understood why it had been included as an event option in this class.

            In the beginning, these African-print styles were made locally in Africa, and were designed, dyed, sewn and overall produced by hand by women in different villages across the continent.  However, as it started to gain global popularity, the production of these uniquely colorful patterned designs started to spread and be produced all over the world – including Europe, but largely in Asian countries.  Because of this widespread production, especially in Asia, people began to buy these textiles from Asian factories rather than the origins in Africa.  Since Africa, historically and today, is a place that faces economic hardship, it is increasingly hard to turn down clothes made in Asia that are cheaper than the local producers.  I was intrigued by this, because in my experience, this is happening with all sorts of commodities throughout the world.  We are always looking for bigger, better, faster, and cheaper options – which often leaves local and smaller businesses out to dry.  This phenomenon is directly related to technology – because technology allows for mass production, which in turn replaces the need for human workers and increases economic efficiency.  No matter how fast these local seamstresses and designers work, they will never be able to keep up with mainstream factories who are able to sell their product for a cheaper price. 
 

 I feel that this gallery relates to this class on more of an artistic level, but can also be related to technology if you look at the broad scale involvement in overseas production.  I think that these patterns and textiles are incredible works of art, and have clearly established their dominance in the local and foreign fashion markets.  However, I think that similar to other art forms, our societal values centered around consumerism have lead us to forget about the roots of this art of fashion, and instead has turned it into a money-making business.  I really enjoyed seeing the work of many African based artists in this museum, and feel that I have a new appreciation for the work they do. I also realized that we as a society have to review what our priorities are, and I think that preserving the integrity of an art form rather than turning it into a commodity for purchase needs to be changed.  I would highly recommend this exhibit not only for the incredible visual appeal of the clothing, but also the story behind it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4: Medtech + Art

I am particularly interested by the rapid evolution of technology in the medical field because of how much technology influences every aspect of our lives – but this week I enjoyed learning about where the field of medicine originated. I found that reading the Hippocratic Oath was interesting because of how it has changed over the years.   In the original oath, its contents were generally based off of respecting the body, the patient, and the art form that is medicine – encouraging those who have this knowledge to share it with others.   It is interesting how the field of medicine has changed since then, in that it is seen as separate from art, and the knowledge of medicine has been restricted to those who are intelligent enough to survive medical school as well as have the monetary stability to afford it.   To me, this modern view of medicine does not seem to coincide with the original standards it was founded on as seen in The Hippocratic Oath.              And wh

Week 8: Nanotech + Art

Lotus flower. I came into this week having little to no knowledge about nanotechnology, and while I still found myself getting a little lost during the lecture videos, I feel like I learned important information about a topic that is extremely relevant in the scientific world today.   In the lecture video part 3, one topic that really caught my attention was when Professor Gimzewski introduced the compound called titanium dioxide.   This nanoparticle has self-cleaning properties that are also found in the Asian Lotus plant.   When looking at the lotus plant with a reflection electron microscope, you can see that the leaves are not smooth, but instead have small waxy bumps.    This design has been adopted in the nanotechnology field to create surfaces that are water resistant and self-cleaning.   I think this technology can and will be extremely useful in several instances in our society.   Being able to manufacture materials that are self-cleaning would save lo

Week 6: BioTech + Art

 This week, I was interested in learning about the topic of BioTechnology and Art because I feel that now more than ever, this field is rapidly becoming integrated into our society.  In Lecture Part 1, I found the conversation about the fluorescent bunny, named Alba, to be extremely interesting.  This bunny was injected with bioluminescent genes from a jellyfish as a fertilized egg, and now is basically glow in the dark. Alba, the genetically modified bunny. In the scientific world, this manipulation genetic engineering of the bunny can be linked to several purposes.   These scientists were hoping to be able to use the bioluminescence to place on certain genes in the human body and see how they move throughout the bodily systems.   This is especially important in cancer research because if scientists were able to detect and track cancer cells in the body, it would lead to faster detection and hopefully initiation of treatment.   Eduardo Kac   The part that was especially in