Skip to main content

Event #3

          For my third event, I decided to attend Jeanine Oleson’s art exhibition called Conduct Matters at the Hammer Museum.  I found that this exhibit was a premier example of the usage of contemporary art inspiration with the field of science.  From my perspective, it seemed that the inspiration for this piece was in the production and economic aspects of the formation of copper, as well as how these processes affect people as consumers in our society.  I feel that she was juxtaposing our need for commodities such as copper with our extreme lack of knowledge regarding where these commodities come from and the effort and resources it takes to produce them.  This parallels with the lack of connection that we, as a society, feel with our bodies and with art in general.  All of these factors created an extraordinarily unique art exhibition, that left me partially confused and mostly intrigued on how Oleson came up with such a complex and far reaching idea.
            This exhibition included a short film that was projected on three different screens on the wall. There was a quilted blanket in the center of the room as the focal point. Finally, there was a screen on the wall that was melded with glass to a copper wire that ran through the wall and was connected to a bell shaped, clay configuration.  The screen was playing a video that showed the production of copper, and some other programming scenes that I was not sure what it was.  The actors in this video were the same actors in the film playing on the walls.  I feel the smaller screen was supposed to convey what physical labor is needed to create copper wires, while the larger screen was a more satirical performance of the melding of song, dance, and acting with the use of this copper wire.  Towards the end of the film, there was a part where one of the characters was looking through a glass, similar to the one covering the screen in the room, and she claimed that she was “searching for the art within her own body.”  The other three actors, I assume, represented the art she was searching for, and the irony was that they were right in front of her and she still couldn’t see them. 
I think this is the part of the exhibit that struck me the most, because it relates to the idea that we are so focused on the literal, and scientific sense of things in our culture, that we miss the beauty of art that sometimes is right in front of us.  We are numb to the beautiful things that surround us every day because we cannot see past the things we are convinced that we need (aka the copper wire).  I may be completely off topic, but that is what I gathered from this exhibit, and I found that it was very relatable to the topics we have covered throughout this course.  I also feel that other students who may have attended this event could have had an entirely different experience, and I think this is part of what is so wonderful about art.  There is no right or wrong answer, and the ability to interpret it in your own specific way is one of the most important things I think I have learned throughout this class.  I definitely recommend paying a visit Jeanine Oleson’s exhibit before it closes, because it really encompasses the topics we learned about in this class.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8: Nanotech + Art

Lotus flower. I came into this week having little to no knowledge about nanotechnology, and while I still found myself getting a little lost during the lecture videos, I feel like I learned important information about a topic that is extremely relevant in the scientific world today.   In the lecture video part 3, one topic that really caught my attention was when Professor Gimzewski introduced the compound called titanium dioxide.   This nanoparticle has self-cleaning properties that are also found in the Asian Lotus plant.   When looking at the lotus plant with a reflection electron microscope, you can see that the leaves are not smooth, but instead have small waxy bumps.    This design has been adopted in the nanotechnology field to create surfaces that are water resistant and self-cleaning.   I think this technology can and will be extremely useful in several instances in our society.   Being able to manufacture materials that are self-cleaning would save lo

Week 6: BioTech + Art

 This week, I was interested in learning about the topic of BioTechnology and Art because I feel that now more than ever, this field is rapidly becoming integrated into our society.  In Lecture Part 1, I found the conversation about the fluorescent bunny, named Alba, to be extremely interesting.  This bunny was injected with bioluminescent genes from a jellyfish as a fertilized egg, and now is basically glow in the dark. Alba, the genetically modified bunny. In the scientific world, this manipulation genetic engineering of the bunny can be linked to several purposes.   These scientists were hoping to be able to use the bioluminescence to place on certain genes in the human body and see how they move throughout the bodily systems.   This is especially important in cancer research because if scientists were able to detect and track cancer cells in the body, it would lead to faster detection and hopefully initiation of treatment.   Eduardo Kac   The part that was especially in

Week 4: Medtech + Art

I am particularly interested by the rapid evolution of technology in the medical field because of how much technology influences every aspect of our lives – but this week I enjoyed learning about where the field of medicine originated. I found that reading the Hippocratic Oath was interesting because of how it has changed over the years.   In the original oath, its contents were generally based off of respecting the body, the patient, and the art form that is medicine – encouraging those who have this knowledge to share it with others.   It is interesting how the field of medicine has changed since then, in that it is seen as separate from art, and the knowledge of medicine has been restricted to those who are intelligent enough to survive medical school as well as have the monetary stability to afford it.   To me, this modern view of medicine does not seem to coincide with the original standards it was founded on as seen in The Hippocratic Oath.              And wh